Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Rhetoric of the Facebook Status


It’s hard nowadays to find someone without a Facebook account. With the rapid digitalization of society and communication, Facebook becomes a necessary avenue to explore instances of rhetoric and rhetorical situations. As Bizzel and Herzberg mention in their anthology, “Our learning comes from interpretation, our discipline grows by argument, and our communities cohere by persuasion... (p. 15).” Highlighting primarily the end part of the quote, Facebook statuses allow vast digital communities to form, from the persuasion of a certain tool over another that “Google maps app > Iphone maps app” to joining a friend on a health food diet by the persuasive rhetoric used by the status “On a lemon kick. Lemon everything! It’s a natural antiseptic and full of vitamin C. Use ‘em!” While in earlier rhetorical history the movement from oration to written word proved to be harmful to rhetoric in that “sensual power of the word diminished in written form” (pg. 6), I would argue that today written word can be equally as powerful as oration in the rhetoric strength of persuasion, and with the digitalization of content and dialogue, proves to be an important element to use when attempting to persuade. 

For example, if I were to need to persuade as many people to come to a professional event, I would post on Facebook a status that used professional language and a certain style of rhetoric to convince Facebookers to join my event, whereas if I simply attempted to get the word out by word of mouth, I would certainly fail in my attempt to publicize the event. If I were to want my friends to join me at my party, I would not follow the professional language rhetoric I used but rather a less formal language to attempt to publicize my party. As Bitzer said in his article, the rhetorical situation is essentially a problem that needs to be solved through oration and the help of others. The evolving society that leans heavily on the Internet and technology has made the rhetorical situation, in a sense, easier to solve, because now a status like “Anyone have a multimeter I could borrow tomorrow” reaches a vast audience and prompts a quick and simple answer that solves the problem. 

Some, however, may argue that while the Facebook status is a way of communication, it fails to be rhetorical in nature. I would argue that by using the historical evidence of parts of rhetoric, such as style as “attractive verbal garb,” as well as the Sophist claim that all language is rhetorical (pg 5), all Facebook statuses have intent behind them and thus are rhetorical in nature. Even the someone mundane status of “Halfway done with my shift...need more caffeine” implies that this man a.) has a job, b.) enjoys coffee and uses it as a mechanism for staying awake and alert, and c.) has now told all that in a little while he will be done with work and would be available. Additionally, because “the rhetorical situation is solved through the process of public reflection,” (Bizzel and Herzberg, p. 14) this man’s status prompted encouraging answers from friends that admired his stamina and offered words of encouragement. The audience of Facebook is always waiting to hear from the rhetorical orator, that, with his or her Facebook status, seeks the answer to their rhetorical situation at the time. 

3 comments:

  1. My boyfriend tells me all the time that "Facebook is the devil." We've chosen not to join. Of course we made these decisions independently. I can't speak for him, but I just didn't see the need. Now, almost three years into our relationship, I sometimes wonder what this might suggest in terms of our relationship, if I decided to join now. As nonusers, we connect facebook in some ways to our relationship, assuming that more drama will ensue and more opportunities for confusion would persist. We also seem to pride ourselves on this decision to keep everyone out of our house, so to speak. However, I also wonder what are the rhetorical implications for those who decide not to join when, as you have acknowledged, most have for both personal and professional reasons? What does this say about us or the company we keep?
    Admittedly, the absence of such page has, in some instances, not worked in my favor. I miss out on events and opportunities. People know about "this" before me, and when I'm excited to share something I think the listener would enjoy, he or she gives me that unsurprised look, which says I have facebook.
    In terms of facebook status, I was at such a disadvantage. I learned that not only do users strategically post a status, but because of my limiting access to the post, users can post anything without consequence. A friend could be mad or unhappy without my knowledge, but others will know. Years ago, I met a man who was apparently still married, and was informed by a friend, who was of course connected to facebook.
    I don’t know if I will ever join, but it’s clearly a space which many value (both personally and professionally) and rhetorical in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Brittney! Thanks for pointing out the "relationship status" bit because I think that is an extremely important and has thus influenced the term "Facebook-official," as in "Well, they are dating, but not facebook-official," as if without the status of a relationship on Facebook, the couples actual relationship is not "credited," (I couldn't think of a better term) in society or in public. I think it's ridiculous, but at the same time see myself indebted to this societal mutation of learning about people and keeping tabs on people through their status, or events, or even relationship status.

    ReplyDelete